Wednesday, February 7, 2018

A Working I Will Go


The first oncologist got his butt fired because he had the gall to tell me I couldn’t work during my chemo. 

I get it.  My immune system is compromised (in my defense, he was going to be the one doing that to me, so there) and I work with little petri dishes kids.

But I pushed the “up” elevator button at Evergreen Hospital that was probably touched by people with the flu to get to his office that morning.

So really, I wasn’t safe anywhere.

And we quickly found out I wasn’t safe staying at home, on the couch, for more than four days.

Good God, I started wars with Jeff, the cat, both dogs, a goose and a noisy cockatiel (the goose DID deserve it). 

They all wanted me out of the house and SO DID I.

Once the really frightening rash on my face cleared up.

I had chemo on Tuesday, Granix shots to up my white blood count, and was back to work on Monday.  I needed a little more time between classes to wash my hands, make sure I always had a water/juice/tea, and then the subsequent bathroom breaks ALL THE EVER-LOVING TIME, and I had to make sure I ate when I was hungry.  Other than that it seems I jumped right back in to the happiness of all of us.  I do get mind numbingly tired around 12:15 until the Vitamin B6 capsule takes effect forty minutes later, and there’s a 30 minute nap waiting at 4:15 pm.   

The goal is to make it all five days this week, something I haven’t accomplished since the middle of November (Thanksgiving break, though – that one wasn’t my fault).

Considering I worked a grand total of SEVEN full days in the month of January, not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flunked The Hearing Test