Skip to main content

A Practical, Uncensored Conversation About Breast Cancer


A Practical, Uncensored Conversation About Breast Cancer



"There is a thin line that separates laughter and pain, comedy and tragedy, humor and hurt."

Erma Bombeck

My Chapter

My story began with a tumor that I knew was cancer. Even with no family history and no "triggers," I walked into my first-ever mammogram knowing it was a cancerous lump in my left breast.
 
I documented my "journey" the only way I knew how - with humor, sarcasm and a hell of a lot of honesty.

Popular Posts

Lumpectomy Low Down

  "Because nobody goes through life without a scar." - Carol Burnett Statistics show that there is minimal survival/recurrence differences between lumpectomy and mastectomy. One big fact that doesn’t seem to be public knowledge – cancer can come back if you have your breast (or breasts) completely removed.  A mastectomy does not guarantee cancer will not return. Lumpectomy, or partial mastectomy, involves only taking out the tumor and some surrounding tissue. I had a lumpectomy so I can speak with first-hand knowledge of that, while I have information that I have gathered from women with a mastectomy.  There are pros and cons to both. Lumpectomy Pro Save sensation to nipple and breast Natural feeling Shorter surgery Shorter recovery time Lumpectomy Con Breast could be a different size than its mate Radiation is often required Mammograms are still required There is “worry” about recurrence Occasionally I have heard of women who had both breasts removed (cancer was located ...

Ways to Ask For Support

"Surround yourself with people who support you. Find champions." Sarah Gavron When faced with a cancer diagnosis, people often ask, "How can I help?"   Finding the right response quickly can be challenging, so here are some suggestions to help you get started: Transportation: Driving to appointments, treatments or errands Appointments: Have moral support and have them take notes Household chores: Clean, cook, laundry, lawn care Meals: Have meals prepared or delivered, or accept a a meal-sharing service. Childcare or pet care: Get a break from responsibilities. Errands: Have groceries, prescriptions, or other necessities picked up or ordered Help with information: Research treatment options or support groups. Offer a distraction: Other people can suggest activities like watching movies, playing games, or going for walks. Finances: Assistance with bills, insurance, or financial paperwork. A listening ear: Request a non-judgmental space to share thoughts and feelings....

A Day At Chemotherapy

"We have two options, medically and emotionally: give in or fight like hell."  ~Lance Armstrong The prospect of chemotherapy can be daunting. We've seen so many movies of chemo patients who are bald, pasty gray, emaciated and throwing up. Chemo of today does not have to be that way.   For me and my Stage II Triple Positive treatment, I had none of these. I cold capped and kept my hair, managed to keep most of my color, didn't lose weight, and never once threw up. It doesn't have to be frightening. I had a four different chemotherapies during my day which already made for a long day. Coupled with that was the fact that I cold capped, it made the day about eight hours at the infusion center.  This is a play by play of how my chemo day went:  Lidocaine over port One to two hours before the appointment, I smear lidocaine cream on the port site. I was told to put it on this way: like frosting, not like lotion. It had to be a huge blob of white completely covering my ...